NETWORK HOST STATUS
This RFC reports on the status of most Network Hosts from January 17 to January 28.
Several Hosts are currently excluded from the daily testing. These Hosts fall into two categories:
- Hosts which are not expected to be functioning on the Network as servers (available for use from other sites) on a regular basis for at least two weeks. Included here are:
NETWORK SITE COMPUTER ADDRESS 133 BBN PDP-10(B) 13 Case PDP-10 15 Ames/(Paoli) ILLIAC/(B6500)
- Hosts which are currently intended to be users only. Included here are the Terminal IMPs, which are presently in the Network (AMES, MITRE, NBS and BBN*). This category also includes the Network Control Center (Network Address 5) which is used solely for gathering statistics from the Network. Finally, included among these Hosts are the following:
NETWORK SITE COMPUTER ADDRESS 7 Rand IBM-360/65 73 Harvard PDP-1 12 Illinois PDP-11 19 NBS PDP-11 NOTE: During this interval both the UTAH PDP-10 and the RAND PDP-10 became Network servers.
The tables on the next two pages summarize the Host status for this period.
* The BBN Terminal IMP (Network Address 158) is a prototype and as such is frequently not connected to the Network, but being used to refine and debug the Terminal IMP programs.
ADDRESS SITE COMPUTER DATE AND TIME (EASTERN) 1/17 1/18 1/19 1/20 1/21 1800 1730 1000 1500 1730 1 UCLA(NMC) SIGMA-7 #H O #D O O 65 UCLA(CCN) IBM-360/91 O O #D O O 2 SRI(NIC) PDP-10 O O O O O 66 SRI(AI) PDP-10 D D D D D 3 UCSB IBM-360/75 O O O D O 4 UTAH PDP-10 T T #T O O 69 BBN(10X-A) PDP-10 O O D O D 6 MIT(Multics) H-645 O T O D O 70 MIT(DM) PDP-10 D D O O D 71 RAND PDP-10 D D O D D 8 SDC IBM-360/155 #D #D #D #D #D 9 HARVARD PDP-10 O #D O #D #D 10 LINCOLN LABS IBM-360/67 D H T H H 74 LINCOLN LABS TX2 #D #T #D R O 11 STANFORD PDP-10 D D D D D 14 CARNEGIE PDP-10 H H H H H 16 AMES IBM-360/67 D D D D D ADDRESS SITE COMPUTER DATE AND TIME (EASTERN) 1/24 1/25 1/26 1/27 1/28 1430 1630 1730 1300 1530 1 UCLA(NMC) SIGMA-7 O O O O T 65 UCLA(CCN) IBM-360/91 O O O O O 2 SRI(NIC) PDP-10 O O T O O 66 SRI(AI) PDP-10 D D D D D 3 UCSB IBM-360/75 O O D O O 4 UTAH PDP-10 O O O O O 69 BBN(10X-A) PDP-10 O D O H O 6 MIT(Multics) H-645 R O D O D 70 MIT(DM) PDP-10 O D T O H 71 RAND PDP-10 T D D O D 8 SDC IBM-360/155 #D #D #D #D #D 9 HARVARD PDP-10 #R #R O O O 10 LINCOLN LABS IBM-360/67 H D H T H 74 LINCOLN LABS TX2 O O O O T 11 STANFORD PDP-10 D D D D D 14 CARNEGIE PDP-10 D H H D H 16 AMES IBM-360/67 D D D D D where
D = Dead (Destination Host either dead or inaccessible [due to network partitioning or local IMP failure] from the BBN Terminal IMP.)
H = 1/2 Open (Destination Host opened a connection but then either immediately closed it, or did not respond any further.)
O = Open (Destination Host opened a connection and was accessible to users.)
R = Refused (Destination Host returned a CLS to the initial RFC.)
T = Timed out (Destination Host did not complete the ICP and open a connection within 60 second)
* The only service currently offered by the UCLA IBM-360/91 is a Network Job Service (NETRJS), however, the BBN Terminal IMP is not equipped to test NETRJS. We are assuming that initial connection to the NETRJS logger indicated the NETRJS is also functioning.
#These sites advertise that they may not have their system available at these times
STATUS OR SITE SITE COMPUTER STATUS OR PREDICTIONS ADDRESS PREDICTION OBTAINED FROM 1 UCLA SIGMA-7 Server(#Limited) John Postel 65 UCLA IBM-360/91 Remote Job Service Bob Braden (Telnet in April) 2 SRI(NIC) PDP-10 Server John Melvin 66 SRI(AI) PDP-10 "Soon" Len Chaiten 3 UCSB IBM-360/75 Server Jim White 4 UTAH PDP-10 Server Barry Wessler *5 BBN(NCC) DDP-516 Never Alex McKenzie 69 BBN(TENEX-A) PDP-10 Server Dan Murphy *133 BBN(TENEX-B) PDP-10 Server(Exper.) Dan Murphy 6 MIT(Multics) H-645 Server Mike Padlipsky 70 MIT(DM) PDP-10 Server Bob Bressler *7 RAND IBM-360/65 User only Eric Harslem 71 RAND PDP-10 Server Eric Harslem *8 SDC IBM-300/155 Server Bob Long 9 HARVARD PDP-10 Server Bob Sundberg *73 HARVARD PDP-1 User only Bob Sundberg 10 LINCOLN IBM-30/67 "Soon" Joel Winnet 74 LINCOLN TX-2 Server Will Kantrowitz 11 STANFORD PDP-10 "Soon" Andy Moorer *12 ILLINOIS PDP-11 User only John Cravits *13 CASE PDP-10 March Charles Rose 14 CARNEGIE PDP-10 "Soon" Hal VanZoeren *15 AMES/(PAOLI) ILLIAC/B6500 September John McConnell 16 AMES IBM-360/67 "Soon" Wayne Hathaway *144 AMES TIP User only *145 MITRE TIP User only *19 NBS PDP-11 User only Robert Rosenthal *147 NBS TIP User only *158 BBN TIP User only (Prototype)
- Host not included in daily testing.
#The NMC is a research site and would like to have prior arrangement with each user.
[This RFC was put into machine readable form for entry] [into the online RFC archives by Kelly Tardif, Via Genie 10/1999]