February, 1975, Survey of New-Protocol TELNET Servers
It has been two and a half months since our last survey, and it has been depressing to note that "progress" toward an all-new-protocol network has been even slower than previously. Changes since the last list (with host numbers in octal):
SRI-ARC (2) and OFFICE-1 (53) have added logger sockets 27, but with Old-Protocol servers (are these forerunners of New-Protocol servers?); SDC-CC (110) has been removed from the list until it starts operating on the network LL-67 (12) now has a New-Protocol server on socket 1; CASE-10 (15) has departed from the network; BBN-TENEX is now host 361 (formerly 105); ANL (ARGONNE, 67) has come on the net with Old- and New-Protocol servers on sockets 1 and 27, respectively. The following is the latest version* of the summary and tabulation of server-host Telnet servers. total server hosts 36 100% no New-Prot server 17 47% unknown status (new host) 1 3% total New-Prot implem. 18 50% New-Prot on socket 27, Old on socket 1 (2) 10 28% New-Prot on 1 and 27 (3) 6 16% New-Prot on 1 only (3) 2 6% Notes:
- All data in this report were gathered via a surveying program run at various times, plus a few manual checks to fill out the data. What is reported here is the way the various servers work as seen by the new-Protocol User Telnet at BBNA, as of 20 Feb. 1975.
(2) These are the sites whose operation is 100% correct according to
all protocols and conventions, as I understand them.
(3) We realize that some of the servers that appear here as New-
Protocol servers on socket 1 are actually servers which attempt to communicate with both Old- and New-Protocol User TELNETs according to what control sequences are received.
Tabulation of server status for all server sites:
Host Host Socket Socket New-Prot. Options No. Name 1 27 Implemented (if any) 101 UCLA-CCN Old X 201 UCLA-CCBS Old X 2 SRI-ARC Old Old 102 SRI-AI Old New I1,3,6; O3 3 UCSB-MOD75 Old X 4 UTAH-10 Old X 305 BBN-TENEXA Old New I1,3,6; O3 106 MIT-DMS New New I1,3; O3 206 MIT-AI Old X 306 MIT-ML Old X 7 RAND-RCC Old X 10 SDC-LAB Old X 11 HARV-10 New X I1,3; O3 12 LL-67 New X None 112 LL-TX-2 Old X 13 SU-AI New* New* I1,3 16 CMU-10B New New I1,3; O3 116 CMU-10A New New I1,3; O3 17 I4-TENEX Old X 217 KI4B-TENEX Old X 20 AMES-67 New New None 126 USC-ISI Old New I1,3,6; O3 226 USC-ISIB Old New I1,3,6; O3 27 USC-44 Old X 327 USC-ECL Old X 37 CCA-TENEX Old X 40 PARC-MAXC Old New I1,3,6; O3 43 UCSD-CC Old New I0(!),3; O0,3 344 HAWAII-500 ? ? 52 LONDON Old X 53 OFFICE-1 Old Old 54 MIT-MULTICS New New None 61 BBN-TENEXB Old New I1,3,6; O3 361 BBN-TENEX Old New I1,3,6; O3 162 BBN-TENEXD Old New I1,3,6; O3 67 ANL Old New I1,3,6; O3
X No server at this socket ? Status not ascertained -- unable to connect to host I# Option # implemented incoming to user (Server says "Will #") O# Option # implemented outgoing from user (Server says "Do #") (# is option number in new Protocol. All options implemented by anyone are: 0 Transmit-Binary 1 Echo 3 Suppress-Go-Ahead 6 Timing-Mark )
Note: * These servers return improper responses to some TELNET option requests.